Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb [2007]


And I'm not even a big fan of grindcore, or a lot of related thrash/black metal type music, for that matter. Phantom Limb, like a lot of great music, takes more than a few listens to make sense. At first, you will likely hear only the speed. And there is a lot of it; this album is fast. Really fast. I know there is probably quicker things out there, but to the ears of someone (like myself), it's blistering speed. But, by the third or fourth listen, you start to notice the riffs. They really stand out. And the album, initially seeming so asymmetrical in structure, slowly begins to come together. I knew I liked it immediately after the first listen. I was exhausted, sure, but I couldn't wait to see what I'd discovered by the fourth. It's certainly worth the effort. There's a lot going on in these tracks. Really, really good !

Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb [2007]


0 comments: